It has an attractive cobbled market place surrounded by greens and buildings with a strong Georgian influence, including an old coaching inn.
The town's distinctive former Town Hall with its clock spire forms an attractive centrepiece. At its side, beneath a shelter, is a simple market cross dating from the 19th century on what is likely to be a medieval base as markets are recorded to have been held in Easingwold as long ago as 1221.
Easingwold is close to the Howardian Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Easingwold has a good range of independent shops. Easingwold offers bakery goods, butchers, books, clothes, flowers, gifts, an outdoor market (Farmers' Market - 3rd Wednesday of month).
The town has a Post Office branch.
Easingwold has bank and building society branches.
The town has a pharmacy.
Easingwold has several pubs.
Pub food is available in Easingwold.
The town has a library.
The town has a cinema.
Easingwold has a community centre.
There are public toilets in the town with limited hours of use.
Places of worship: Anglican, Catholic, Methodist.
Easingwold has tourist information.
Places to stay in Easingwold include guest house, inn, holiday home accommodation.
Bus travelThe town has buses to neighbouring towns and villages.
Road travelEasingwold can be reached via the (A19) and minor roads.
Places to visit
The World of James Herriot23 Kirkgate, Thirsk
This museum paying tribute to vet and author James Herriot offers a wealth of things to see at his original practice surgery. The writer, whose real name was James Alfred Wight, wrote a series of semi-autobiographical books through the 1970s which were adapted for two films and a popular BBC TV series. Alf Wight continued to write through the 1980s and early 1990s, focusing more on children's books later in his life. The museum presents the house as it would have been in the 1940s and has an air-raid shelter in the cellar. There is a big display of veterinary instruments from the past to the modern day, a farrier's workshop, a massive collection of James Herriot memorabilia and a behind the scenes look at TV's 'All Creatures Great and Small' including a restored vintage car used in the series.
Further information at
Sutton Bank Top of Sutton Bank (A170)
National Park Visitor Centre and Kilburn White Horse
While the full figure of the Kilburn White Horse stands out from afar, it can also be reached by a 3-mile loop walk from the North York Moors National Park Visitor Centre at the top of Sutton Bank. The most northerly such figure in Britain, the horse was first created in 1857 when it was marked out by the Kilburn village schoolmaster and his pupils before the turf was cut from the limestone, now brightened with added chalk. The National Park centre also offers plenty of other walking and cycling opportunities, a fantastic viewpoint and is also a Dark Sky Discovery site.
Further information at this
Aldborough Roman SiteFront Street/Chapel Hill, Aldborough, near Boroughbridge
The village of Aldborough is on the site of a Roman Town, Isvrivm, which was on Dere Street, the main Roman road north from York (Eboracvm). The Romans made York their provincial capital in the north of England after invading the lands of the Brigantes, largest Celtic tribe in Britain, around 71 AD. Aldborough became the main centre of Romanised Brigantes. The present Roman site has the original walls of one corner of the town, set out in gardens laid out many thousand of years later in Victorian times. A collection of Roman finds can be found in the museum at the site and there are also two mosaic pavements in their original positions. The site is managed by English Heritage and is open throughout April to September. The site is best reached on foot as there is no car park.
More information at the
Find on map:
Shandy HallThirsk Bank, Coxwold
Shandy Hall, a grade I listed building with some original features dating back to 1430, was the home of Irish-born 18th century novelist and clergyman Laurence Sterne while he was Vicar of Coxwold. The house, then simply The Parsonage, was where he wrote 'The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman' and 'A Sentimental Journey Through France and Italy'. Shandy Hall's gardens are open to the public between May and September and the house itself on advertised days or by appointment. The Hall is maintained by The Laurence Sterne Trust.
More information at
Marmion TowerWest Tanfield
An impressive stone gatehouse to a lost manor house beside the River Ure which was once the manor of Elizabeth Parr, grandmother of Queen Katherine Parr, the sixth and last wife of King Henry VIII. The manor passed to Elizabeth Parr in 1513, but the gatehouse is now its only significant remains. The gatehouse was originally built during the latter part of the 14th century but has been remodelled several times. Its first floor has a splendid projecting oriel window. The 69 spiral steps of the tower can be climbed during its daily opening times. The tower is managed by English Heritage and there is no admission charge.
More information at the
Byland AbbeyByland, near Coxwold, North Yorkshire
Byland Abbey features the ruins of one of the largest and grandest Cistercian abbey churches in England. Completed towards the end of the 12th century, it is noted for its Gothic architecture which inspired that in other church buildings, including York Minster. The lower portion of a huge rose window gives some idea of the scale and magnificence of the building before the dissolution of the monastery. The abbey also has tiled floors surviving from the 13th century. The abbey is in the
More information at
Find on map:
Rievaulx AbbeyRievaulx, near Helmsley, North Yorkshire
The first Cistercian abbey in the North of England was founded in 1132 but became one of the most important in the country, quickly growing to a 650-strong community within its first 30 years. However by the time of supression of the monastery in December 1538 the number had fallen to 23 monks. The abbey in the valley of the River Rye in the
More information at the
North York Moors National ParkBeyond the visitor centre are 554 square miles (1,435 square kilometres) of National Park with features including moorland and coast, historic stateley homes, remains of castles and abbeys, attractive villages and market towns and a historic railway. For more information see our page dedicated to the
Howardian Hills Extending south from the National Park and at the eastern edge of the Hambleton district is the Howardian Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty covering 79 square miles (204 square kilometres). The landscape is one of rolling hills with fields and woodland, charming villages, farms, monasteries, Iron Age earthworks and grand country houses with their designed parkland.
Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
More information on our
Emergency servicesNorth Yorkshire Police
North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service
Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust
Civil parish councilEasingwold Town Council
Provides some local services in the area.
Link to council website:
Hambleton district council is one of the seven large district authorities within the county of North Yorkshire with its Civic Centre at Stone Cross, Northallerton.
It covers 506 square miles of the mainly rural area in the northern area of North Yorkshire adjoining the Hambleton Hills, after which the authority is named.
The council area includes
The council is made up of 28 councillors representing 17 wards, with between 1 and 3 representatives per ward. Councillors are elected every four years.
The district has extensive coverage of parish and town councils and parish meetings with 78 town and parish councils and 57 parish meetings.
Hambleton District Council website.
The political composition of the council after the May 2019 election was:
County authorityNorth Yorkshire County Council
Includes Hambleton and six other non-unitary districts of North Yorkshire.
Police, Fire and Crime CommissionerPolice, Fire and Crime Commissioner North Yorkshire
Covers the county of