East Riding of Yorkshire
The town was developed in the early 12th century by the Normans as a port, much earlier than the now much larger Kingston upon Hull.
The port at the head of a navigable waterway leading to the Humber brought much wealth to the town in the 12th and 13th centuries. The town's prosperity led to work starting in 1190 on the building of the magnificent St Augustine's Church, which remains today as a Grade I listed building of national importance.
By the latter part of the 13th century, however, there was a need to bring larger vessels to port and a deeper water port started to be developed at Wyke where the River Hull meets the Humber. After King Edward I bought land there in 1299, it became know as King's town upon Hull.
This naturally led to a decline in Hedon as a port, but in a bid to win back merchants to the town, Hedon was able to obtain a charter as a self-governing borough from King Edward III in 1348. This enabled the town to elect ten aldermen with the aldermen electing one of their number as mayor. The town's borough status continued until local government reorganisation in 1974, although there is still a Town Council with civil parish status.
For more than 100 years, Hedon had a railway station, this being on a line opened in 1854 which ran from Hull, past the docks and through a number of villages and small towns to the east of the city to the seaside resort of Withernsea. The Beeching cuts of the 1960s saw the line closed.
Hedon also had an early airfield, build on the site of a closed racecourse and used by the RAF in World War I. It became famous as the place where aviator Amy Johnson was given a hero's welcome when she returned home after making the first solo flight to Australia in 1930.
Hedon has local traders and a supermarket.
The town has a Post Office branch.
Hedon has a bank.
The town has pharmacies.
The town has pubs and a social club.
Cafe and pub food is available in Hedon.
Takeaway food outlets in the town include fish and chips, curries, pizzas, burgers, kebabs.
The town has a library.
Hedon has a museum.
Hedon has a community centre.
Hedon has an old parish church.
Places of worship: Anglican, Catholic, Methodist, other.
Bus travelThe town has buses to neighbouring towns and villages.
Places to visit
Withernsea Lighthouse Museum
Hull Road, WithernseaThe 127-foot high inland lighthouse in the centre of Withernsea is now a museum of local history, about the RNLI and about award-winning actress Kay Kendall, who was born close by and died of leukaemia in 1959, aged 32. The lighthouse can be climbed by 144 steps to the top for a view across the town. The museum, which also has a cafe, opens at weekends from Easter to October and also on weekdays in the summer season.
Details can be found on the
Withernsea Lighthouse Museum website.
Rysome Lane, HolmptonAn underground nuclear bungalow hidden beneath a bungalow is now a relic of cold war radar defences of the 1950s. The former RAF Holmpton site is now open to the public to descend steps into its fascinating underground corridors and rooms.
More information can be found on the
Visit the Bunker website.
Spurn Heritage CoastAt the south-east tip of Yorkshire about 10 miles south of Withernsea is the Spurn Heritage Coast. A three-and-a-half mile long spit of sand, shingle and boulder clay washed from the shores of the Holderness coast stretches into the Humber estuary. The headland includes the Spurn National Nature Reserve, run by the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. Spurn can offer a spectacle of migrating birdlife in the spring and autumn and deer and grey seals can also be spotted. While a century ago there was a railway along the headland and more recently a road, there is now no vehicle access to the public. Victorian sea defences have crumbled and tidal surges have washed over the headland at times to temporarily form Yorkshire's only sea island. It is still possible to walk to
Burton ConstableBurton Constable, Skirlaugh
For more information see the
Burton Constable website.
Locate on map:
Beverley MinsterMinster Yard, Beverley
More information at the
The Arctic Corsair, a sidewinder trawler, was built at Beverley Shipyard in 1960 and spent its days going to sea from Hull, where it now remains as a museum exhibit. Tours can be booked at the Museums Quarter reception at High Street in Hull on certain days. The trawler was involved in the 'Cod Wars' with Iceland in the 1970s and retired from fishing in 1987.
Find out more at this
Hull City Council - Arctic Corsair webpage.
Emergency servicesHumberside Police
Humberside Fire and Rescue Service
Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust
Civil parish councilHedon Town Council
Provides some local services in the area.
Link to council website:
The East Riding of Yorkshire Council is now a unitary district rather than a county authority but the least changed of any of the historic Ridings of Yorkshire.
It does now cover a small part of the former West Riding, while it has lost portions of the historic East Riding to North Yorkshire and York.
Other towns in the East Riding include
The authority covers a near full range of council services, except the limited services handled by the various civil parish/town councils which exist throughout its area.
The 26 wards in the authority each elect one, two or three councillors to make up a 67 member council. An election for the entire council is held every four years with the most recent election in 2019.
East Riding of Yorkshire Council website .
The political composition after the May 2019 election was:
Police and Crime CommissionerThe Police and Crime Commissioner for Humberside
Fire AuthorityHumberside Fire Authority
The fire authority is made up of elected members of each of the four unitary authorities served by the Humberside Fire and Rescue Service - East Riding of Yorkshire, Hull, North East Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire.
Ceremonial countyEast Riding of Yorkshire
Historic-1889 East Riding of Yorkshire (historic admistrative division)
1889-1974 East Riding of Yorkshire (county authority)
1974-1996 Part of a borough within the artificially-created county of Humberside